Monday, June 14, 2010

Be Her Dignity

"Sometimes I would like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine and in justice in the world, when He could do something about it... But I'm afraid He might ask me the same question." ~ Anonymous

On July 23 I am turning 26 years old. Every year I try to think of something special for my birthday.
This year I have planned something completely different, something that has been on my heart for over a year now.

I have decided to forgo all my presents this year and instead fundraise money for a cause in Ugauda. The before-mentioned quote touches me everytime I read it and this year on my birthday I want to do a small part contributing to a bigger whole.

The project I am raising money for is part of Watoto Ministries. They have a project called Living Hope .

Women in Africa are the most marginalised group. Many of them are HIV+; many are teenage mothers having to fear that their babies will soon join the ranks of the countless orphans of Africa as they cannot nurture them.

Within the last two years it has been discovered that many of these girls who had been able to escape the LRA and were abducted a second time have been disfigured terribly. Their noses, lips and ears have been cut off. Because of the disfigurements they are abandoned from society often living a life of loneliness feeling completely unworthy.
The good news is that there is hope for these girls and young women. Partnering with Hillsong’s COLOUR SISTERHOOD and international teams of surgeons Watoto has made it their goal to restore the faces of these girls by repairing their noses, lips and ears. One surgery costs 3,000 AUD, which are approximately 2,534 $, fairly little compared with what will be restored through one surgery.

You know, I think about my own life and how blessed I am. I actually do not lack anything. I am one of the few people on this earth being privileged to live like this. We forget about this too often. So often we are so consumed by our own problems and challenges we forget that there are a lot of bigger things to reach out for.
Isaiah 60:1 states
“Arise, Jerusalem! Let your light shine for all to see. For the glory of the
LORD rises to shine on you. Darkness as black as night covers all the nations of
the earth, but the glory of the LORD rises and appears over you.“

I want God to say these words about me. I want him to say, “Ramona has stood up and she runs and shines and changes her world, she does her part”. I am convinced that if we all did our part this world would look completely different as each small part contributes to the bigger.

Therefore I have made it my goal to raise money for one surgery until my birthday. I am beyond excited about stepping out and making a difference.

If you are interested in giving or praying, please do not hestitate to contact me through the blog by leaving your email adress for example (I will send all the information to you then) or through facebook.

I will write weekly updates on how things are progressing or giving you more information about Uganda, projects, videos etc.

People. let's do this together. Let us change the world!

xoxo

Ramona

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! This is so good! You are making a difference and live what you say! I am with you in this together and pray that the heart and eyes get opened to realize in what a world we are living in! LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete

I always love hearing from you. Your thoughts, ideas and inspiration...leave me a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Pin it Button