Monday, October 29, 2007

Budapest Experiences

When I was thinking about what I was going to write here my first thoughts were quite different than what I am actually going to write now.

I must say that Budapest is truly a beautiful city when you look beyond the rundown houses, the riots on the street, the unhappy people and the bad weather... There a lot of really beautiful buildings from different epochs in history. The 2nd day we were there we went sightseeing the whole day in pouring rain. So here a few snippets:



So as you can see it is simply pretty. I had the feeling that Budapest is exactly the way you would imagine a city in an East-European country. And not only that, even the people look like you would imagine it.

On the third day we went to the House of Terror and they presented two opposite dicatorships ruling over the country. During the 2nd world war it was the Nazi regime and after the World War 2 it was the Communists. Hungary truly has suffered from both dictatorships and you can still scent the past and the history when you walk among the city.
And then you look at these old buildings which are from a time and age when the Austrian Empire was still alive and Queen Elisabeth was still ruling over Hungary.
Now you look at a city with all those historical backgrounds and still you see poverty, fear and dissatisfaction and you can see that there just has not been any money to transform the city.

Therefore I belive that Budapest is a very controversial city.

As you can imagine we also went to the Opera House and we went to see Gone with the Wind as a ballet. It was simply beautiful and those pictures will give you a little taste of it:






You walk into this Opera House and you cannot stop being astonished by its beauty. It's then you start imagining yourself into a romantic story... *sigh*... I'm not going into that topic any deeper now.

The last two days unfortunatley leave a rather bitter aftertaste, but nontheless I am not going to let that destroy my experience with Budapest.

Although at first sight you could say the city is not too beautiful, I do believe that its beauty can be found, but must be searched for in a different way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from you. Your thoughts, ideas and inspiration...leave me a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Pin it Button